Saturday, June 19, 2010

Paris: The Empire of the Dead, and more

Proud of me? I'm updating already!

So day one in Paris we started at the gorgeous Notre Dame. The exterior is lovely and I would have liked to go up the tower, but since I've already been a few years back I got outvoted and we moved on to Saint Chapelle, but it closed while we were in the lineup so we moved on once again.



To shopping! my new favourite store Pylones, as well as vintage stuff in the Jewish/Gay Quarter and the Champs Elysees. Didn't buy a lot... I'm not all that ballin these days and my suitcase is limited but I did make a few purchases. I wanted to pop into Louis Vuitton but there was a lineup! It was craziness...



We eventually made our way up to the Arc de Triomphe. All the obligatory monuments, ya know...



By the time we found food to eat... which was no easy task considering we kept going down what looked like "cheap side streets" that ended up having Prada and D&G all over them... it was pretty late and soccer madness had started. On the metro there was a juge police incident with a yelling bleeding man, loads of police, paramedics and the scariest looking German Shepherd police dog I have ever seen.

Anyway, we survived and got to the Eiffel Tower.



It worked out perfectly for seeing it in the light, and being at the top for sunset. I love the Eiffel Tower :)



So then todayyy we had a slightly more macabre day: We started at the Père Lachaise Cemetery, where we saw Oscar Wilde and Jim Morrison...and I dragged my friends to all the artists: Seurat, Pissaro, David (I found out that he was exiled as a revolutionary so even after death his body wasn't allowed in France so his grave only contains his heart!) and Gericault which was my favourite as his Raft of the Medusa was actually on his grave, in bronze form. Sweet.

(below is Jim Morrison and Gericault)





Next, since we apparently haven't had enough of dead people, we went to the Catacombs.




I especially like the sign over the entrance above. Anyway, they are creepy... especially when they put the skulls into the shape of a heart and or cross. It was also pretty interesting to learn about it, I was pretty ignorant to it all. After that was just more shopping. Off to check out Paris's club scene for now, so I will be back with more of Paris in the next day or so.

xx

1 comment:

  1. The catacombs are so cool! I mean, temperature-wise. You must have taken that picture before the "zee flash photagraPHEE eez not allowed!" guy came running down the passageways.

    ReplyDelete