Monday, May 10, 2010

Last UK entry...


Hello! My last entry from London. Lots of fun, but I'm pretty excited to move on to somewhere less chilly... I did not pack a lot in the way of warm clothing. Today Elliott was visiting family, so the rest of us had a girl's day. We first went to a really nice pub called The Nag's Head and met up with a friend of mine from Totem at UBC who was also in town. Bangers and mash and pints all round.

Then we hit up the ultra touristy areas. Can't miss seeing the London Eye, Parliament, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey and obviously that bridge that the dementors in Harry Potter destroy. Parliament was kind of interesting because there was a lot of media around, I'm assuming due to the elections. Pictures were snapped, and then it was back to Oxford street for moooore shopping... it was girl's day, after all.



We went to Primark which is the most insane thing ever. I don't know what to even compare it to. Ikea for clothes? But even cheaper and more insane? A HUGE two floor store of very cheap clothing etc that's like Boxing Day x10. It's nuts. I spent less than 6 pounds and got 3 pairs of tights, silver bangles, gold bangles, facial cleanser... it was pretty nuts, you could easily fill bags and bags there. From there, I left Laraina and Paige to their own adventures and went to meet Elliott for WICKED. I can't say enough good stuff about it, it was such an amazing show. If you haven't heard of it, it's a musical about the witches from the Wizard of Oz, and it kind of ties in with the original story but is an entirely different plot. The actors were fantastic, I can't get over how great their voices were and the set looks like it cost an absolute fortune but it looked great.




Next, we head to Athens. We have decided to only do Mykanos as our island side trip since we found out that the ferry to Santorini is 9 hours. My phone doesn't work there, and we have no idea what our hostel will be like so I can't promise blogging from Greece, but knowing me I will be online at some point. ;)

Anyway I really appreciate everyone reading and sending me well-wishes, it's very sweet and means a lot :)



PS: Laraina is keeping a blog as well... larainalee.blogspot.com, so if you want to verify that I'm not totally making this up, or want a different perspective you should definitely read that as well.

PPS: Postcards are fun, so if you want one, send me your address and I will see what I can do :)

4 comments:

  1. Primark on Oxford St! Yeah what a retail experience like no other. Cheap? Hah.Wuz there in Sep and I saw a very nice men's suit for 9GBP! Strange no public loo's at Primark. Have you gotten used to how they do coffee? Live theatre in the West End is an experience. Looking forward to being along on your journey. Blog and post on!
    Barry,U.B

    ReplyDelete
  2. July 4, 1995
    Galway, Ireland
    Pub for some Guinness and traditional music. A small ensemble played bagpipe-type thing, mandolin-type thing, fiddle, flute-type thing, and drum. [Yes, I really wrote that. Pathetic. Maybe it was English-degree fatigue.] Some people did square-type dancing ... Another old man sang a traditional Scottish song.

    I'll hop to the back of my diary for some Greece reports. Looking back at this diary is fun but also I realize I reported a lot about transportation issues, when I did laundry and took showers, rather than what I actually saw and did. Weird.

    Susannah

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least you kept a diary. . . I wrote one page on the bus ride to Vancouver and that was mainly about the weather :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha Susannah. I'm in a stairwell trying to get wi-fi and laughing to myself about your -type entries.. hahaha...

    ReplyDelete