Sunday, May 16, 2010

Myyyykonooossss


After a chilly and long ferry ride, we end up at the New Port of Mykonos. We are immediately swarmed by tons of people trying to get us to go to their hostels/hotels/resorts. We ended up picking this woman named Christina’s place. It was an insanely good deal, I still can't get over it.

Night one was super fun. You haven't partied until you dance in a Scandinavian Disco Bar in Greece with a New Zealander to Bryan Adams. ;) Had sooo much fun. We even met some guys from UBC! This club was particularly awesome because all the bartenders went around dancing and blowing whistles to the music. I have no idea how to make that sound not ridiculous... I guess it was. The music was pretty North American, but a lot of the songs were remixes that paused and went MYKOONOOOOSSSSS in the middle, at which point the dance floor would go nuts.



Then the next day, we had our first real day of relaxation on the trip: slept in, gyros for lunch, then a taxi across the island to Elia beach. We rented a set of loungechairs and umbrellas. The water was lovely and falling asleep under the Greek sun was even lovlier. I'm not a beach person as I'm sure everyone knows, but even I had an amazing time. I also had the best popsicle of my life. Some kind of Greek tropical thing I bought in a place that was playing Greece-ified remixed of U2 and ABBA.
That night we went out again - of course. You really can't walk two steps without tripping over a club in Mykonos! This time we checked out some of the gay clubs and we ended up meeting some fun people from Indiana.
We spent the last day and night just relaxing, and watching Greek Idol.



Also Pelican <3

Unfortunately, it's back to Athens for a day followed by some 15 hour ferry or something.
xoxo

3 comments:

  1. Love the pelican pic!
    Here's part of my Santorini entry. Again I have the most boring diary in the world. Hard to find all those exciting memories I have in my brain on the actual paper. Most entries talk about what I had for breakfast and what time I went to the bus stop. Sigh.

    August 31, 1995
    Going to Parissa beach via moped at 11:00 am. Turns out mopeds are quite expensive so just took the bus. A narrow black sand beach; the water has an unusual bottom, like sheer rock.

    September 1, 1995
    Slept in, had another yummy french toast breakfast [see what I'm talking about? 15 years later, who cares?????]. The time since who-knows-when that September does not equal school! ... Went for brunch [OK guess I ate a lot] at Mama's. "Mama" was this psycho lady who talks sweet to customers and then screams across the restaurant to her employees. ... Got late ferry to Paros. Met annoying dense Californian.

    Susannah

    ReplyDelete